Saturday, October 10, 2009

The danger of narratives of hate

Narratives passed down verbally as well as emotionally and genetically – transgenerational violence.

I have to pass you my narrative
I’m sorry that it is one of shame
It was passed to me by my father
And before that by his father to him

You can wear it quietly
You can hide it somewhere on your person
You can try to peel it from your skin like an orange
But it will be there and it will be told

It is not yours, but it will become you
It is hungry and it will eat you
And it will kill you
As it has done me
As it has ... done me

3 comments:

  1. I had the phenomenal priviledge to view a rehearsal of "Partly God" last week. To say it was "mind-blowing" is like saying Cape Town's howling south-easter is a gentle breeze. This piece of performance art envelopes one from start to finish. There is so much to take in. So many themes to contemplate. So much reality to reflect on. So much fantasy to marvel at. This performance, with a large body of completely green performers (only 8 months of studio training for many of them) had my jaw on the ground... put my heart in my throat from visceral emotion... whipped tears from my eyes... gave me whiplash at times from the pace, energy and scale of the performers. What an incredibly beautiful thought-provoking, inspiring work of performance art right here from this good old Cape Town studio!!! Can't wait to see it in the theatre. Much Love, Jay Williams

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the feeling but your account of this performance still gave me shivers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also there on friday and the actress Chuma is a beautiful performer.
    Question though?
    What does she say at the end of the show...
    Can someone translate?

    ReplyDelete